Our department roots go back to 1956 when our first fire chief, Wayne Stanyer organized a Fire Brigade, which operated out of Chief Sanyer's garage. In 1958 we received our first pump truck, a red 625gpm King Seagrave, mounted on a Fargo Chassis, although it wasn't until a year later that it had a Fire Station to stay in. Is was Feburary 1958 that the first fire hall was opened at the corner of Alder Ave and Ash St.
In February of 1954 Wayne Stanyer was appointed full time Fire Chief, and in May of 1965 Bob Oscroft was hired as the first full time Fire Fighter. 1972 was a very significant year for our department as County Council unanimously passes Bylaw No.200, establishing ambulance serives to be operated by the fire department. This was the start of the integrated fire service that we are still very proud of today. In 1975 the Sherwood Park Division moved into a new fire station on Sherwood Drive, and by the end of the year the department had 14 full time members and 46 volunteers. Strathcona County Fire Fighters became affiliated with the International Association of Fire Fighters on September 16, 1975. The local originally consisted of 16 members.
The department went from being Basic Life Support to Advanced Life Support in 1985 with the hiring of 5 Paramedics. This meant better medical care for our residents. Bill Hewitt was named the second Fire Chief in department history in 1986 when Chief Stanyer retired. 1987 saw the activation of Strathcona's 911 system, a service still ran out of Station #1 today.
1988 saw a large staffing increase with the hire of 16 new FF/EMT's or FF/Paramedics. Chief Hewitt Retired in 1990 and David Hodgins was appointed Strathcona's third Fire Chief. In 1991 Station 5 opened at the corner of Clover Bar Road and Baseline Road, and is now our busiest hall.
On November 11, 1991, Strathcona Firefighters' Honour Guard makes its first public appearance during the Remembrance Day ceremonies. IT was July 17, 1993 when Strathcona County Fire Department lost Fire Fighter/Paramedic Ron Raymond, its first Line of Duty Death (LODD) according to the guidelines of IAFF and June 18, 1995 SCFD lost Lieutenant/Inspector Robert Martell, its second LODD. In 1994 Fire Chief David Hodgins retires and Chief Laird Burton appointed Chief until his retirement in 2006 and Chief Dwight Osbaldeston became the newest Fire Chief For SCES.
On June 2, 2001 Heartland Hall opens in the northern part of the county to replace the older Station 4 located in Josephburg. On March 22, 2008 our service saw one of it's biggest fire when the Prairie Mushroom Factory caught fire with reported damages nearing $10 million.
In April of 2008, our current Fire Chief, Darrell Reid took over, just in time for May when a wildland fire in the north part of the County, the largest fire in 20 years, put our members to the test. A year later, the second wildland fire in North Strathcona in two years again pushed our department. This fire was 3 or 4 times the size of the 2008 North Strathcona Fire with over 8,600 acres affected. Sustainable Resources Department and Regional Mutual Aid Partners contributed to effort and approximately 150 total daily personnel were on scene after May 6. No homes were lost and only 2 minor injuries to personnel.
On April 1, 2009 the Government Of Alberta took over control of Ambulance service in the province. SCES was contracted to continue providing services to the residents of Strathcona County rather then Alberta Health Services servicing the area.
In May of 2013 Station 6 offically opened and is now fully operational and is the new central location for SCES administration.